To Vote for your favourite entry this week - click HERE
Surf, Sand... and lets just add in Sun too - all the things that make summer in Australia so great! This was such a fun week to create for, our family are beach lovers so the kids absolutely jumped at the chance to take the boards down and have an evening of fun while I took some pics (trust me, getting them to stand still and smile was difficult when all they wanted to was jump in and swim!). Once the photos were all said and done the kids dived right in, and we kicked back with a bottle of vino and chicken rolls with our friends... the perfect summer night! This week I designed two versions of a ruffled swimsuit, a bikini and a one piece for Ellie and her friend Soph, and for Jack, a rashie (rash gaurd) and some boardies! For some extra fun I sewed up the Santa Cruz Beach Ball pattern, instead of using a woven fabric I used Lycra and got a really big balloon to inflate it to max size - quick to make and hours of fun!
When thinking of the design for the swimsuits, I wanted to do something that was really pretty, but still cool enough for a 7 year old to wear. I ruled out butt ruffles, but somehow had to get some sweet ruffle goodness into the style. I liked the concept of using the London Leotard by Little Lizard King as a base, splicing the leo and adding a ruffle through both the front and back, creating a nice girly ruffle over the shoulder. I had to redraft the arms and neck shape, however I was really pleased to see that it worked for both a bikini style and one piece. The bikini bottoms are based off the Little Lizard King Laguna swimsuit, I loved the bottoms and that they are a vintage fit, and with the addition of a little leg frill these turned out to be fun bikini set, not too skimpy and really cute! The one piece I took the ruffle right down to the hip, up over the shoulder and down the back. I think the one piece turned out to be my favourite of all! It has a deeper scoop which added a nice feature to the style and made it a little different to the bikini! Both the girls suits are lined with a white swimsuit lining - the beautiful water colour greenery swim Lycra was from Sems Fabrics.
For my little guy, I designed a rashie using the pattern I created for the fitted t-shirt in last week, but increased the ease to give a looser fit and lengthened the sleeve. Instead of binding the neckline I added a wider band, and it came up great! I even busted out my twin needle for finishing the hem and sleeves. I will have to make a few more of these this summer, so practical for both swimming lessons and fun at the beach, and great sun protection. The solid green Lycra was from The Remnant Warehouse.
For Jacks boardies, I designed a basic shorts pattern and used an elastic drawstring cord - I've never used this stuff before and its simple to use, and really awesome to be able to adjust the waist once the kids are wet. I sewed two buttonholes in the front of the waistband, pulled the ties through and enclosed the elastic. I added three rows of top stitching through the elastic to give it a nice finish. Dont forget to vote for you fave designer for this week - HERE.